Long Weekend Have a wonderful Spring weekend – we return to school on Tuesday 6th May.
Collective Worship It is lovely to have teams of children leading worship through the summer term. They do an excellent job, preparing carefully, rehearsing and leading worship with a clear theme founded on Christian values and ensuring participation of the rest of the children. They often prepare a powerpoint or slide show, they usually tell a story with dramatization, lead the singing and prayer and confidently welcome and dismiss the school. It is a delight to us all to enjoy the confidence and self assurance of our children and their clear understanding of the purpose of this quiet, reflective time in our busy school day. Even the youngest children will offer to lead worship, with a little support from the adults in their classroom.
Gardening Club Mrs Read and her team have asked that children who come to Gardening Club bring wellies and raincoats to school – if the weather is a bit damp and drizzly they still like to get out there and do the gardening. If it is really raining heavily, the children will come indoors and do some garden planning, cooking or an art project on a gardening theme.
The following clubs will not run in the week commencing 12th May (due to SATS and other assessments) and also the week commencing 19th May (due to residential trips).
- Summer sports club, led by Mrs Garraway, on Tuesdays
- Mr Gyllenspetz’s cricket club for the “Elite” squad on Tuesdays
- Athletics club run by Mr Amor on Wednesdays
Multisports, led by Go-Active, will not run on Tuesday 13th May since there will be no Go Active coaching during the school day due to the SATS.
All other clubs, led by outside providers, will continue as usual according to their timetables that you will have received.
Keyboard and Guitar lessons One or two slots have opened up for keyboard and guitar lessons – do contact the office if you would like your child to start learning either of these instruments. The lessons take place within the school day and your child will miss about 15 – 20 minutes of a classroom lesson to attend the music lesson.
Summer Term As the weather starts to warm up, the children tend to throw their jumpers off more often. Please make sure that their names are clearly marked inside their jumpers and other clothing so that we can get items back to their owners if they are left on the field or around the school. It is also important for every child to have a water bottle in school, especially as the weather warms up. If your child has very fair skin, please put sunscreen on them before they come to school (our staff do not apply sunscreen before playtimes). Every child should have a sunhat that they can wear if it is a sunny playtime.
School Council You will have noticed the lovely bright playground markings. This was done at the request of the children through their school councillors – part of the same project which has resulted in the rebound wall requested by the children and which has proven very popular.
Reading with your child Research published recently by the University of London has shown that children whose parents read to them every night have better academic outcomes than children whose parents have degrees! A love of reading is a better predictor of great academic outcomes at age 16 in all areas, including maths, than any other factor. We do encourage you to read to your children right through primary school – there are wonderful books that can be shared and enjoyed by the whole family. Encourage your child to read books, newspapers, magazines, blogs, emails, instructions, articles in any format – reading widely and with enthusiasm will ensure great outcomes for your child. Your child only spends 15% of their time at school – the other 85% is spent at home, so much of this enjoyment of reading will be nurtured by the family at home.
Demographic data The following data show where the children in our school come from. This shows that 65 of our children (43%) come from the designated area (shown in bold type) and the school would be in danger of closure if it were not for all those families who choose to bring their children in from other areas.
Change of Date Please note that our French Concert has been changed – it will now take place on Wednesday 25th June at 10.45am. This is as a result of a day trip planned for the original date.
There will be a Textile Recycling collection on Tuesday 6th May, so please have a clear out and bring your bags into school that morning at 9am. If in doubt about the nature of the textiles just put them in as most things are acceptable!
The next meeting is on Tuesday 13th May at The George & Dragon in Erlestoke at 7.30pm (for 8pm). We will be discussing the disco & Summer fayre and would really value your ideas & input. Thank you.
If you still wish to order from Boden you are able to use the discount code Y882 which allows 22% off all categories, plus free delivery and returns.